Sunday, November 26, 2017

Russian Tea - Which one? Where from?

Years ago I started getting what some call winter allergies.  It's not an allergy as far as I know but I get a horrible cough for most of winter.  So when someone posted an all natural "Russian Tea" I had to try it out.  The interesting thing came when I tried to look up the recipe again.  You expect to find different variants but one thing is NOT like the other.  So today I'm going to be looking at the different recipes and try and figure what it's all about.  What actually came from Russia?


Lauren Greutman has you using tang sugar and instant tea (what the heck is instant tea?)
   
               I don't know, check it out for yourself it seems pretty simple.  Just not what I was looking for.  However, it is what I see most of the recipes look like, they have a powder mix that they just add water to when ready.  It's convenient for sure.

DIY - has you using a bunch of natural fruit juices and black tea.  This is the stuff.  We don't drink juice very often so the whole thing is a bit of a sweet treat.  I love it during the cold winter months when all you want is something warm and sweet. 

But where did it come from?

So from what I can gather, it's totally American.  First appeared in an American cookbook in the 20's and came from the south.  Considering it's like sweet tea with fruit juice that really doesn't surprise me much. From my studies though Russian's do love their tea, just not the same way we do.  This girl totally gets it and done her research too!

My Recipe

My recipe is a close variant of the DIY version so I highly recommend it for more detail.


  • 8 cups water - set to boil in a large pot
  • 1 cup water w 2 black tea bags set to boil


In first pot start adding after the boil has set.


  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 cups orange juice
  • 3 cups pineapple juice
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice.


Then add your tea and simmer, the stronger you like that taste the longer you simmer.

Enjoy hot!

Some say they like it cold, I personally do NOT. It doesn't have the same taste cold but each to their own.



http://petersfoodadventures.com/2016/04/26/russian-tea/#comment-10228
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_tea_culture

No comments:

Post a Comment